Dog Love: Toxic Foods & Emergency First Aid

 

After the incident with Moses eating chocolate, and not having hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting, my dog walker, a former vet technician, gave me a list of items I should have on hand to assist in potential problems.

Of course, I hope to never need these things and vow to remain more vigilant.

Nevertheless, stuff happens.

Here’s the ASPCA list of foods toxic to dogs:

Alcohol
Chocolate, Coffee and Caffeine
Citrus
Coconut and Coconut Oil
Grapes and Raisins
Milk and Dairy
Nuts (including almonds, macadamia, pecans, and walnuts)
Onions, Garlic, Chives
Raw/Undercooked Meat, Eggs and Bones
Salt and Salty Snack Foods
Xylitol -a sweetener in many products, including gum, candy, baked goods and toothpaste
Yeast Dough
And here’s the list of items to have in your medicine cabinet:

Benadryl 25 mg tabs
Betadine
Blunt edge scissors
Claritin
Cling wrap
Cortisone Ointment
Dosing Syringe or turkey baster
Emergency eye wash
Gauze
Hand sanitizer (for owner)
Hydrogen peroxide
Latex gloves (for owner)
Mushers salve for paw pads
Muzzle
Nail trimmers
Q tips
Rubbing alcohol
Small cold and hot packs
Small towels
Sports tape
Styptic powder
Thermometer- digital is fine
Tweezers
Vaseline

 

 

This entry was posted in Dogs, health, Writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Dog Love: Toxic Foods & Emergency First Aid

  1. dana winkler says:

    i’d add, keep the canned goods and onions completely out of reach…my dog took canned sardines from a grocery bag i’d left on the floor and opened it on my bed one time; another, she ate the entire 2 pounds of onions, leaving me the empty mesh bag. she needed to be hospitalized over night as a result. amazing. may these things never happen to you and moses. all my love. dana

    >

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Letty Sue Albert says:

    Sounds like all dogs must suffer from irritable bowel syndrome! And while I don’t have a dog at the moment, with the exception of Musher salve for paws and a muzzle, we are fully prepared!

    Like

  3. Glad Moses recovered so well! We just had a horror situation with our 9 month old Labradoodle named Paddington last week. He grabbed a prescription bottle of clonopin off the nightstand while we were out for only two hours, chewed the top off and ingested at least fifteen 1mg tablets which dissolve quickly. When we returned, he was crashing into walls and could not walk straight. We rushed him to the vet and they gave him an injection to induce vomiting – then fed him activated charcoal mixed with canned dog food. Paddington recovered within 4-6 hours but it was a scary time for sure! $489 later, and lesson learned: keep all medications out of “children’s” reach!!

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s